Jonathan - Grand Rapids, Michigan

Each Vote Must Stand

I believe that the voice of the people, when heard, must stand. When the people of the United States vote on a given proposal, I believe that that vote must stand until the proper course of action is taken to overturn it.

The beauty of living in the United States of America is that everyone is guaranteed equality under the Constitution. Each time a person votes, his vote is worth just as much as the man next to him. Rich or poor, young or old, male or female, white or black, it does not matter. Each person is guaranteed a vote and may use that vote as he sees fit. In the United States, the majority rules. Today, that is slowly beginning to disappear. The large groups that do not agree with what the American people say are trying to prevent the people’s voice from being heard and instead want their voice heard. Because they have money, they think that they can use that money in order to buy what they want. Instead of using the process that the law provides for them, they instead go to the courts. This is not the courts job. The courts job is to uphold the laws that are in place, not get rid of them.

More and more today, large corporations and groups try and tie a law up in court if they do not agree with it. Recently in this past 2006 governor election, the state of Michigan voted on a proposal that would get rid of Affirmative Action. Know as Proposal 2, it passed. Now, Universities and other groups are trying to ban together and fight the proposal in court. I believe that this is wrong; the people of the state of Michigan have spoken, they no longer want Affirmative Action to take place. Whether or not you believe in Affirmative Action is not the problem; the problem is that large groups with lots of money are trying to overturn the vote, the vote of the people. They had their shot on Election Day, it did not work.

I believe that each person has the right to vote, and when that vote is cast, they should be able to expect that vote to stand. It should not be up to those with money to make the decisions of what is law and what is not. This must remain in the hands of the American people and those whom they vote into office. I believe that the voice of the people, when heard, must stand.