Stephanie - Muskegon, Michigan

I believe that animals have souls and can attain salvation. I know that my dog, Max, who recently passed away, has to be in heaven. I know this because Max was more than just our family pet; he was a companion and a friend to me for all of the ups and downs in my life. And it was not just to me that he was kind, but to my entire family. Even when my brother pestered him by pulling on his tail or putting socks on his paws, he would not bite. It was simply something he would never do, no matter how annoyed he may have been. Also, Max was not only nice to me or my family, but to every person he ever met. Young or old, he did not discriminate, he had to meet everyone and make their day. He was even kind to the mailwoman, whose profession is often thought of as the bane of a dog’s existence. With her, Max would jump up on the side of the mail truck to greet her and would receive a pat on the head and a treat in return. For every greeting he gave he received in return at the very least a smile, but more often a good pat on the back and the compliment “what a handsome boy!” When he looked at you with his big brown eyes you could see that he was more than just a dog, he was a good soul who put your needs above his own. He never looked at you in a way that asked “what can you do for me?” but instead “what can I do for you?” In that way he was the perfect Christian, always giving and never expecting anything back but the feeling of having done the right thing. Max may not have attended church, or even prayed, but in his own way he was the best of what a Christian can be, and that is why I believe that he and all animals have souls and the opportunity for salvation.