Dee - Muskegon, Michigan
Themes: love, setbacks

The Power of Love

I believe in the power of love. I didn’t always believe in such a power. The power of love was lost to me sometime during childhood. My mother was too busy working to gather material possessions; I don’t blame her that’s the only form of love she knew. My step-father was so overcome with hate and fear he couldn’t see the power of love, all I learned from him was to fear my own life. My biological father was lured away from the power of love by alcohol, never to return again.

My first experience of the power of love happened April 17, 1991. The day my daughter, Shelby, was born. She wasn’t created through the power of love, but I was consumed by love’s power marveling at the mystery of her. The power, however, was not strong enough to keep me from being lured in the manner of my biological father. I was doomed to the curse of alcoholism through circumstance and genes. Because I believe in the power of love, today, I tell my daughter I love her everyday, several times a day, so she’ll be less likely to get lost in the lure of alcohol.

My second glimpse of the power of love came the day was pushed into 12-step recovery. I was amazed at the people there. I was bewildered at their ability to give up their chair to a stranger, take a frightened hand and lead the way back to the power of love. They loved me until I learned to love myself.

I once again experienced the power of love when my younger brother was killed as the result of a motorcycle accident. I was surrounded by that power from the same people who showed me the way to sobriety. They showed up when I needed them. They let me cry on their shirts. Those same people also reached down and pulled me from the depths of depression when, seven months later, my biological father lost the fight against cancer. I lost hope and tried to push the power of love away, but the power of love is stronger than grief. I made my way back with the help and love of others.

Last week, during a routine mammogram, a mass was found in one of the ducts of my right breast. I have to have a biopsy. Because I believe in the power of love, I have to believe everything is going to be all right. If everything is not all right, I know, today, I will have the support of a lot of people who love me, and I don’t have to go through what ever is coming alone. The cards and e-mails of love and support have already proved this.

I believe power of love healed the scars of my past, so I have to believe it can heal the scars of my future.