Daniel - Allendale, Michigan

This I Believe…

What I believe in does not exist anymore. The world that I believe in has honor, pride, dignity and believes in redemption. The words I speak are aged and dry, simple husks of forgotten memories that once held meaning in the mouths of men and women. I have no faith in today’s world, a world where it is tough to find individuals willing to sacrifice everything they know for their fellow man and expect nothing in return. This is a world where more people vote for who can sing better than who can lead better, a world where responsibility is delegated as far as possible from the perpetrator of actions, a world where tragedy happens and instead of extending a helping hand to all those in need we instead point fingers and assign blame. The important thing everyone has forgotten is that true evil is not in the evil man himself, but in the man who has the power to do what is right but does not act. I always envisioned a world of glory, where those who are willing to do good deeds for no other reason than to lift up their fellow man are heralded and paraded as heroes. Instead we hold up on high those who perpetuate ideals of a darker nature, and worse crown them the crust of society. I look around, day after day, nine-hundred channels after nine-hundred channels, and I see only the slightest glimpse of hope in the eyes of the youth of society. These are the same eyes that are growing older while at the same time being younger and younger in age. The true horrors of the world are revealed to them at a time when innocence should prevail, at a time when that glimmer of hope still shines brightest of all stars and wards away the darkness of reality. I believe in a world of romanticism, hope, kindness, sharing, understanding, empathy, hugging, kissing, holding hands, walking side by side, and all without care of color, background, or upbringing. Instead I endure a world of bigotry and small mindedness while my voice is a whisper shrouded by an infinite, shrieking storm of greed, anger, and violence. What I believe in does not exist to anyone except those willing to hold that shining light into the future and keep shouting at the room full of deaf leaders. What I believe in is not real.