Fatih - San Antonio, Texas

There are many things about life that I have not yet figured out. People have tried telling me what I should believe, but I know that this is a road I must travel for myself. I am the only person that is able to decide my beliefs.

I think that beliefs are like seashells on the beach. I want to look at each of them carefully to decide if it is something I want to let go of or something I really want to put into my bucket to keep and cherish.

I feel fortunate. This I believe. Growing up, my family, my school, my friends, my church and my community have all helped me look at seashells I might not have bothered with otherwise.

I cherish diversity. I think we are made strong when we have the ability to accept and embrace the differences among us. This I believe. A couple of years ago, my Sunday School class visited different places of worship in our town and I was able to understand and accept many of the different beliefs of world religions that I had thought I would never be able to understand.

I know that at age 16, I am merely at the beginning of my life’s journey. Right now, my bucket of beliefs is half full. I’m still gathering and examining the shells that help make me an individual, that help make me who I am.

I know that as my bucket fills, I may find new beliefs and I may need to throw out some that I have previously gathered. This is all part of my coming of age. For right now,

I believe that we should live life everyday to the fullest.

I believe that everyone is equal, and should be given the same opportunities in life.

I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to decide his or her own beliefs.

I believe that when a person dies, their soul flows to a place where they were the happiest, where they were most content with life.

I have not figured out who or what God is; or even if there is a God. But I know that I am the only person that is able to decide my beliefs. This I believe.

So, I continue my walk along the beach — collecting, examining, and growing.