Edward - Schertz, Texas
Themes: forgiveness

Forgive the Unforgivable

To make a promise to someone, you must be able to uphold it. Sometimes, people make promises that they fully intend to keep, but human nature will not let us do so. The promises “I will never hurt you” or “I will always be there for you” are common, but it is impossible to never or to always do something. Even if the promise had been made with full intention of keeping it, that promise will be hard to keep the majority of the time.

Occasionally, the best way to get across a point is to state it as blunt as possible. With that thought in mind, my dad failed to keep a promise to me, my sister, and my mom. Although he never verbalized it to any of us, it is understood by human nature that a father (or father figure) is not supposed to hurt his family. He never intended to hurt us, but the fact remains that he did. Lust, such an innate human characteristic, took over his thinking along with his rationality. Never before had my dad been unfaithful, but few people can resist the fate of facing the feeling of being unfaithful.

The feeling that occurred next was something that I had never experienced before in my life, and my life before had many experiences so this feeling that occurred took me aback. A wall cast itself around me like a force field, invisible to everyone except myself. I couldn’t go but ten minutes without thinking about it once, twice, three times, or even more. School work was increasingly difficult because I needed to clear my mind of home life and leave it open for school only. Life during this time was an annoying little kid who asked you “Why?” every three seconds… constantly nagging with everything I did.

My family and I have forgiven my dad for what he did. Not only was it a family effort to overcome this substantial obstacle, but it also took great individual efforts from each of us in order to move on. Since this time, my dad has been deployed overseas and currently still is deployed. His absence from home has made our family realize how significant he is to us in our lives. More importantly, his absence has made him realize how significant he is to us in our lives.

I believe that obstacles, whether we successfully overcome them or fail trying, teach us to do things we never thought we could do. I never thought that I would be able to forgive my dad for what he did. Understanding that sometimes human nature gets the better of us, whether we know its right or not, helped me. The obstacle of realizing this, and then overcoming it, proved beneficial in forgiving my dad. Sometimes people have to face the fact that others close to them will make mistakes, because mistakes are something that people are bound to do.