Tia - Chelan, Washington

I Believe In Respect

I live in Chelan Washington, a small tourist town. I am a good kid. I go to school, do my homework, take care of the animals day and night, and always do as I am told. I rarely fight with my parents, only small arguments. I have been taught many things, such as knowing right from wrong, the importance of being courteous, and above all the importance of being respectful.

I remember when I was about ten years old and my mom and I went to Wal*Mart. We went to the clothing section, and there was a woman and her daughter. They had picked up a few shirts to look at them, and instead of putting them back on the shelf that they had gotten them from, they threw them on the floor. That’s when my mom turned to me and said that they had no respect for the store or that of the other people shopping. Nobody wants to buy clothes that have been thrown on the floor to be stepped on, and the employees don’t want to have to go around and pick up every single piece of clothing. Therefore the store loses profit.

I also go to a public school with kids of different races, cultures and beliefs. Even though his or her beliefs are not the same of that of mine, there is one belief that everyone should have, Respect. We all need to give and receive respect in order for us to get along, and just be able to live in a community.

What does respect mean to me? Well respect if my core belief. If I don’t respect my teachers, parents, or peers, then I am not going to get my respect back. Also the key to success in the future is respect. You don’t have to like a person to give them respect. It makes life easier for you and me. For instance I have a job and I don’t respect my boss I am going to get fired, not a raise.

How does this impact my everyday life? Well if I don’t do as I am told at home, then I don’t get to do the things that I want to do. If I don’t respect my teachers at school, they are not going to respect me. Friends, you and I cannot take them for granted. If you don’t give some respect they aren’t going to want to be friends because they are being treated badly. I have had friends who I thought respected me, when in reality they didn’t. They just used me as an excuse to get out of the house so that they could go and see other people in town.

Respect. Showing you care, showing honor, having the decency to put your problems behind and work together, or take the time to listen when someone needs you to listen. That is what I truly believe in.