K.C. - Brownstown, Washington

Have you ever-experienced discrimination? Well, I have and I witnessed a situation that almost became dangerous for my father. This incident happened when I was about 11 or 12 years old at the time, during our family trip to Seattle.

On our first morning my dad and I awoke early, and we decided to go to the store across the street to get something for breakfast. When we were looking around the store, a pregnant Chinese lady thought I was a little Chinese girl. She had two other guys with her and they thought my dad had kidnapped me. The old guy asked my father, who was getting coffee at the time, if he had stolen me, and my father was very offended. He said, “Why would I steal my own daughter?” Then I came around the aisle with a box of cereal and milk, and the pregnant lady asked of I was that man’s daughter and if I was a little Chinese girl. I just smiled at her and said of course he’s my father, and no I am not a little Chinese girl. While she asked me the question, the old guy was talking to my father and then he pulled out a bat, then tried to beat the hell out of him. I was telling the old guy he was my father, so he put down the bat, and then he apologized to my father and gave us the stuff we wanted to purchase free.

So we went back to the apartment, and my father was telling my mother about the whole incident at the store across the street and she just laughed. She told my father, “Well maybe it is because you look a lot like a Mexican and K.C. looks more like a little Chinese girl than her Mexican father!”. So discrimination is still happening in Seattle. The reason why I say this is because some Chinese people still mistake me for a Chinese girl, in which I am not! I am a Native American, half Mexican, and half Canadian. By discriminating, you can easily offend many people by doing that, it can really hurt in other ways too, literally. So please do not discriminate against other people, it will hurt.