Lori - Dallas, Texas

I believe in being someone different at the end of each day. I want to learn something new or have done something that makes me see my strengths and weaknesses in a new way. Some days I learn the average number of seeds in a Madagascar vanilla bean or where the term “whole kit and caboodle” comes from – probably referring to carrying all you own in a tool kit, by the way. Look, now you can go to bed a different person tonight too. Some days I learn how many soldiers died in Iraq that day, how many days a woman lived in fear of death in a tiny bathroom in Rwanda, or the level of violence that produced the diamond I wear on my finger as a symbol of love. There are days when a prestigious award reminds me of my creativity as a printmaker or talent as a singer or perhaps the realization when dinner doesn’t taste just as I planned that cooking is a talent to practice also.

This belief requires just one thing a willingness to change. I used to fear the validity of “nothing constant in this life but change.” My dad would say that when I would lament – okay, whine – about a change I didn’t like or a challenge I was afraid to face. But he also said something else, “The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.” Sounds like parental gibberish but it’s funny how that is what has stayed with me. That is what keeps me focused on today facing the small changes head on and knowing the power that has to help me face the big changes. I believe God gives us everything we need today to handle the big things to come. We don’t realize how these small and seemingly inconsequential changes prepare us to be the person we need to be in the future. I had been to New Orleans for so many years enjoying the music, people and food that a fondness in my heart created an urgent need to help when Katrina hit. There was a connection there that led me to volunteer making sandwiches, donate money, and help build a house with Habitat for Humanity for a displaced family starting over in Dallas.

So today I look forward to change – maybe before I go to bed tonight I will finalize my plan to move to New York or maybe I’ll learn what the most popular flavor of ice cream is in Norway. Either way I’ll be moving a little closer to the person I will be tomorrow. I know it, and I believe it.