Amparo - Sierra vista, Arizona
Themes: illness

Nursing Homes are too Under Staffed

Why do nursing facilities need to be understaffed? The elderly that live in nursing care facilities require help with everyday activities and most of these people depend upon nurses to help them every day. How are patients, suppose to receive quality care, if there are not enough nurses to assist them. This is why I believe that nursing facilities should have enough staff to assist their consumers. Nursing care facilities staffed well would be great for many reasons but the three reasons I think are important are. First, some patients do have some medical conditions that require a nurse’s attention immediately. Second nurses should not have to work without under the stress of not having enough support from each other and third nurses cannot provide good, quality care if there are not enough nurses to provide care.

Some patients are immobile because of certain medical conditions and these people should not have to wait a long time to receive care just because there are not enough nurses to provide them with the help that so much deserve. I have witnessed some elderly people having to wait twenty or even thirty minutes just for simple assistance. Patients have to depend upon nurse’s to care for them and they should not have waited for such long periods’ of time. This just causes people that are already sick more stress than what they are already dealing with. Nurses should not to work alone or without enough support from each. This causes too much stress on the nurse and this can definitely affect quality of care that a nurse provides to the patient. A nurse cannot possibly provide good, quality care to their patients if they have a ratio of about two nurses to 24 patients. Nurses already have a lot of care to provide to their patients so they do not the stress of not having enough help and support from each other.

Providing quality care to patients is the most important job a nurse can ever have. Nursing home residents rely upon nurses for care and support. Residents that live in nursing care facilities deserve to have wonderful care because many of these people have to live in nursing homes because they do not have anyone else to help take care of them at home. A nurse cannot provide quality care to every one of their patients if they are trying to care for many patients in a small amount of time.

Nursing facilities should have at least a ratio of four nurses to ten patients in order to provide decent care to their residents. Nursing can be a very stressful and demanding profession. Nurses should be caring and they should have a suffient amount of patience because patients deserve great care. There is a shortage of nurses because of the stressful demands of being a nurse therefore nurses are in high demand . The shortage of nurses affects patients, nurses, families, doctors, and many other people that are involved in the medical in a different way. Hope fully one these days the shortage of nurses will improve but until then it will continue to be the way it is.