Madelynn - Bardstown, Kentucky

As young children, like any other siblings, my sister and I quarreled, fought with both words and arms, took from each other without asking and complained about the other being a “copy cat” or “tattle tail.” On many occasions, we annoyed each other to the point of screaming insanity. I can vividly remember my grandmother’s voice as she told us again and again, “You shouldn’t fight with each other like that! Someday you two will be best friends.” To us, this sounded ridiculous.

Without even realizing it, my grandmother’s words came true. During vacations to the beach and visits to my grandparent’s house, we were each other’s only playmate. Our basement or the coat closet would become our imaginary world of Barbies, baby dolls and dress-up. Exchanging silly jokes and playing the “stupidity game,” as my mother called it, was also a part of our everyday routine. We would stay up until we were slap happy, jumping around on our beds. Our mornings were spent snuggling on the couch, drinking hot chocolate, and watching cartoons.

Our relationship as sisters evolved into friendship during high school. As a senior, she helped me out during the tough adjustments of freshman year. Her intelligence inspired me. I continued to look up to my sister for advice about things ranging from boys and friends to help on chemistry homework. She was my leader and role model. I can only hope that her creativity and uniqueness has rubbed off on me.

Through all of my troubles and triumphs, she has been there for me. We have partied together, laughed until we cried and cried until we laughed. I love that we still play dress up like we used to as we get ready for a fancy night out. There is not a secret in the world that I won’t share with her and there is not a person in the world that can make me laugh like she can. It is nice to know that there will always be someone there to listen to my problems or ease the situation and laugh with me at my idiocy.

The other day, I saw two young girls, about the age of 5 and 6, chasing each other around their mother’s legs in a department store. They were mumbling silly things to each other in-between giggles. Their cheerful faces sparkled and their uncontrollable laughter was undoubtedly annoying their mother. I instantly smiled as I remembered doing the exact same thing with my own sister. I believe that the bond between two sisters is something that can be incredibly special and powerful. It is the definition of true friendship; beginning with the first hug and lasting a lifetime.