Sameh (Sammy) - Marietta, Georgia

This I believe, we can end terrorism

I believe people are the same at a very basic level. I believe mothers and fathers will always love their young ones, that children never stop dreaming about the day they grow up, become successful, and independent. I believe all men and women are capable of love, hate, friendship, leadership, jealousy and revenge.

I also believe that people need food, shelter, security, education and health care. All these are required to create a viable peaceful society, and a sound balanced individuals.

I believe that the lack of basic human needs create an environment that breed desperation. I believe that throughout history individuals emerged in such circumstances and used their charisma or vision to capitalize on other people’s misery, to achieve political goals. I believe that people with no hopes are the most dangerous kind.

I believe that reducing a human being to a single syllabus is counterproductive, that describing a nation of millions in terms of good and evil is a mistake.

I believe that our country, and the world are going through a historical juncture, that terrorism although not new, but never before existed at this magnitude.

I believe that the acts of bringing down a pizzeria, or high rising building, the hijacking of planes and crashing them into landmarks, and the killing of innocent civilians are just symptoms. Terrorism is an idea that feed on lost dreams and failing societies.

I believe that scientific advances reduced the world into a small global village, where news are shared in sub-seconds, and distances are measured in terms of hours instead of days.

I believe that in our new world we cannot be isolated even if we think it is the right thing to do. I believe that the problems of the global village is ours we like it or not, and as long as we are the richest and most powerful country on earth, people will hold us responsible for their misery real or perceived.

I believe we can never make all people happy, but we can take away from our enemies their most effective weapon, their propaganda. We can be a pecan of light to the world, we can show that we know how to talk not to kill, how to build not bomb, we can argue our principals not impose them.

I believe building schools and hospitals cost less than building fighter planes and tanks, it also create friends instead of adversaries, and support moderates instead of marginalizing them.

I believe we can end terrorism, but it will be the day we mobilize our ideas not our armies.