Syndi - Mocksville, North Carolina
Themes: peace

Coming home from a vigil, I was reflecting on my activities as a peace activist and was wondering if I truly believe in the actuality of peace.

Spanning the centuries back to a very medieval Europe, my family history is written in terms of war. Grandfathers, uncles, brothers and cousins are most easily recalled by the wars they fought in, which king or country they served.

Although I do not realistically expect peace to come to this Earth anytime soon, nonetheless my faith calls me to press on for a better time and world. As a Catholic the teachings of Christ indict me to act with charity and mercy and seek justice and peace. I often fail at the ideal but I believe with certainty that I will be held to account for my actions or inactions.

With equal certainty I believe that we as the people occupying this small planet can no longer afford war. Although we have had the capacity for over half a century to blow our world into oblivion, we have never had so many openly vying for the ability to do so with such abandonment of humanity and consciousness.

So spurred on by faith, I hope for a serendipitous moment when the people of this world will suddenly look into each others eyes and see the face of a friend instead of that of a foe. And I am buoyed by the words of John Fitzgerald Kennedy who once noted that “Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children’s future. And we are all mortal.”