Abby - Park Ridge, Illinois

Bubble Bath Talk

I’m sitting in my bath tub right now. I couldn’t think of anything to write, so I took my pens and my paper and got in the shower. I’ve tried everything to write this paper, but it seems like everything I write- every belief I try to tackle- is either too silly or too stupid or too lame or too boring. Did you ever notice how clearly you think in the shower when the water is hot and all you hear is the constant rhythm of water hitting the shower floor?

So, I’m sitting naked in the shower with my paper getting wet and my writing getting smudged when I realize that this is pretty personal. All of a sudden it hits me, I don’t keep secrets. I don’t believe in secrets! What do I believe though?

This I believe: If people were open with each other, if they let other people in, even complete strangers, the world could be so much happier. If people could talk to each other and truly communicate there would be less misconceptions, less hate, more friendship and understanding. If people took the time to get to know each other- really get to know each other, how much stronger could we be as a community, a country, a species?

I guess it would be hypocritical of me to rant about sharing and not get intimate myself. I don’t believe in hypocrisy either.

My name is Abby. I think I’m the biggest dork there ever was, but I’m really okay with it. When I bathe, I like the water to be really, really hot. I have a tattoo on my hip of two seahorses and a heart. My mom doesn’t know about it, but then again she’s never asked. I don’t drink because I think the stuff tastes nasty. The first week of freshman year my father packed up all his stuff on a Wednesday when no one was home, no one knew, and no one could stop him. My mother found out from our neighbor. My counselor told me I should tell colleges about that so that they would be more “understanding” about my bad grades. I didn’t though, my bad grades are my fault, not his. Sometimes, I wonder if I might be a bisexual, but then I try to imagine being with another woman and think to myself “no thank you”. I once lost my bathing suit bottoms in Lake Michigan when me and my friends went skinny dipping and I dropped them. There, don’t you feel closer to me? Either that or you think I’m a complete nut job and want to get as far away as possible. I’d understand.

Anyways, thinking of the bigger picture, what if everybody was this honest? What if criminals could openly admit that they had done something wrong? What if homosexuals took a stand and said, “Gay is not an insult!”. What if presidents told the people exactly what they want to do with the country? Would we still elect them and let them make their laws and start their wars?

Of course, I understand that for a people to be this honest, they would also have to be incomprehensibly more understanding. But if we make an attempt to practice truth and tolerance maybe the world could change from hate and corruption to honesty and acceptance. The two things go hand in hand after all, honesty and acceptance. I guess it sounds like I’m asking for a worldly change, but it really shouldn’t be that big of a deal. Try telling the truth. Try listening. I’m out of hot water now -well actually the water has been cold for awhile- but before I get out I will leave you with this: I meant what I said and I said what I meant. It felt good.