Marcella - Spotsylvania, Virginia
Themes: family, gratitude

The Most Precious Gift

When I was younger, I would hear my mother talking to her mother for countless

hours on the phone. My attentive ears would wonder what they could possibly talk about

for that long; as, I hid from being caught eavesdropping. As I have become older I still

wonder but recently I came to the conclusion that it doesn’t matter. I know I will also

have my mother to talk to and that is why talking for countless hours seems

like minutes. I believe Mothers are truly a daughter’s greatest gift.

Almost a month ago my Grandmother passed away. As I was grieving I realized

that my mother was in a really tough position also. I would secretly watch my mother

grab the phone and dial my grandmother’s phone number desperately to speak to her; but, quickly hang up realizing there would be no one on the other end to answer.

A mother- daughter relationship is one that is most prized. It is a gift of friendship

that is treasured forever. I usually find comfort in talking to my mother. We are close

now and seek comfort in each other. I haven’t always felt this way and desperately

wished my relationship with my mother measured up with the one she had with my

grandmother.

Friendship is a great thing that is irreplaceable, precious and valuable. A mother’s friendship is dear and it is something that I am fond of. I know my mother will always be there for me regardless and for that I am appreciative.

A Chinese Proverb says, “One generation plants the trees; another gets the shade.” I look up to my mother and want to be just like her when I get older. I also know

that the shade my mother provides will always be there for me regardless of what

adventures life shall take me through.

I enjoy spending time with my mother, whether it is chatting or taking a walk. We

often disagree about things such as what the new fashion is or major issues. Despite the

conflict that we may have I know that she will always be there for me and therefore, she

is my greatest gift. I am lucky to have a mother like her that I can talk to and trust.