Ron - Cedar Hill, Texas
Themes: equality

THIS I BELIEVE

I believe that someday our society will be color blind.

I am physically color blind. My genes dictated I be so. It is not a choice. Many times I rely on others around me to identify the color of something. It is not that I can’t see colors at all, but the shades of many colors are almost impossible to distinguish. No amount of effort will ever change this condition with which I live and cope.

Our society needs to become color blind. We all can distinguish between colors–and here I refer to racial, religious, or gender differences among us. We can see the color of skin, or the kinkiness of one’s hair, or the shape of one’s eyes, or gender, or whatever method we use to distinguish between people.

Races and religions are never going to go away. But how we see them can be changed, unlike my phyical color blindness.

I believe that someday we will be able to talk about a candidate for office without mentioning their race, gender or religion. Before 1920 it was significant to identify a voter as female or not. But since then that distinction has become no longer noteworthy. What a wonderful day it will be when we can announce the election of someone without noting that they are female or Muslim or black or Asian or whatever. What a wonderful day it will be when we can announce a crime in the news without feeling the need to identify the race or religion of the perpetrator or the victim.

Just like the gender of the voter has become a non-issue, these other distinctions will fade and become non-issues as well.