Caroline - Olathe, Kansas

The Dream Catcher

There is an old African proverb that states that without dreams then life looses its meaning. When I was about eight years old my grandmother made me a dream catcher while explaining the importance of this proverb to me, she told me to make sure I stored all my dreams in it and that every time one of my dreams came true to simply release it with a prayer. That is how I came to believe in the power of dreams and to this date my life is centered on this belief.

My eighth grade English teacher once asked the whole class to pick a word that we felt would best describe us individually, when my turn came I proudly stood up and proclaimed that I am a dreamer, she turned to the class and jokingly said “well we now know who to vote for in the school magazine as most likely to fail”. In a society that encourages people especially young children to follow their dreams Mrs. Phillips felt that my answer was not good enough and although my feelings were hurt I still believed in the power of dreams.

My dreams are the reason I still find the strength to get up in the morning even when life doesn’t seem to be going my way, I just close my eyes visualize my dream catcher with all my dreams stored neatly away while they await their unmasking and all over sudden the day ahead of me seems much more brighter. When somebody or something annoys me at work I remember that my job is a stepping stone on the way to achieving my life long dreams and a smile creeps on my face. When I get a bad grade in school I try even harder because I believe that my education is a guide towards my end goals. That’s how powerful my belief is.

I dream of the day my name will be called out to receive my pharmacy degree. I dream of the day I’ll land my dream job. I dream of world peace and happiness. I even dream of the day we will all love one another regardless of the barriers that surround us. I dream of the day the world especially Africa will rise from poverty, and children will become children and not child soldiers. every day I dream because I believe in the infinite power of dreams.

I know I have good company in dream land, I have neighbors such as martin Luther king Jr who believed in the power of his dreams and today millions of African Americans all over this nation are living in the reality of his dreams. Jews in Hitler’s camps dreamed and finally a day came when they were liberated. Nelson Mandela believed so much in the power of his dreams that he spent 27 years in prison and today South Africa is a free nation. this people and so many more believed in the power of dreams.

Some of my dreams have come to pass, some did not materialize and some I am still working on, but they are my purpose in this life and they have helped map out my future. Some facts might change from time to time but the main ideas and focus still remain the same. I believe in that moment when all my dreams will become my reality and like the quote hanging on my wall from an unknown writer says, “I patiently wait for the moment when the dreams and dreamer shall become one.”

I dare to dream all this and much more because I believe.