Pavel - Renton, Washington

You want to know what I believe. I believe people are fake. And I believe that their personality is the number one example. Because everybody, including myself, puts on an act. But that act is carried out every hour, every minute, and every second. An act that’s done long enough that we actually become it. It’s like we’re all actors, but we each write our own script.

I once read a quote before, and it goes like this. “Man’s main task in life is to give birth to himself, to become what he potentially is. The most important product of his effort is his own personality.” That quote sums up a lot. As humans we learn to think differently, to act differently. We don’t believe in being the same as the next person, it’s just not how we work. And our whole life revolves around becoming our own. About being ourselves. About strengthening our personality. We put a huge effort to it, and never let off. People act differently because of their personality, their mask on life.

At first it starts like an act, but then something happens. Things change. The act you once played all the time is not played any more, it is created. And not forcefully, but at will. Involuntarily. You become what you set out to be, and you maintain it. You become that fake image of yourself. The image that most love and expect. The image of your own personality.

People don’t just act differently because that’s what they believe, but because that’s what their personality would believe. I feel that everyone has an inner self that is a LOT different then their outer appearance. Everyone has an inner voice. But it’s that same inner voice that tells us what we should believe, what people would expect us to believe, what our personality wants us to believe.

And the same goes for me. People expect things of me, people think they know me. In fact, talking generally, I’m supposed to like rap and play soccer and eat tacos. I’m supposed to lie. Supposed to cheat. Supposed to steal. I’m the one that’s supposed to be poor, to hang out in the streets. To deal drugs and get in trouble. I’m supposed to be the one that doesn’t do anything with their life, because that’s my “heritage” image. Even though for the most part, that’s not me. Yet once you get to know me, you still expect things of me. I’m supposed to be the funny one. The cool one. The guy who doesn’t take life seriously. The guy who has tons of potential but is too lazy to achieve it. The guy that’s become someone you can always expect a smile from. The guy who never shuts up. But that’s because that’s become part of my personality. Part of my image. Part of my own fake-self.

If anything though, I’ve come to embrace this, because this is part of life. People ARE fake, but I’m glad we’re fake. Because if we weren’t, then what would be the point of personalities. I bet part of you is saying that none of this is true, but I bet the other part is laughing and glad that finally someone admitted it. I really do believe people are fake, but they are as real as fake can get.