Faren - Mason, Ohio

Living with Three Strangers

I believe living with a stranger teaches one to compromise and be considerate, which is what I’ve learned living with my three college roommates. Everyday we see people we don’t know. We might flash a smile or a wave of friendliness but we still do not know how they will react. We come from different backgrounds and all walks of life. The best way to learn how to compromise is to live with a stranger.

Being an only child I am used to having my own space, until the day I moved into the dorms. I have always slept better when it is pitch dark and no sound. When you grow up this way it is something you are used to, it is something you never expect to change. I attend the University of Cincinnati as a freshman and live in the dorms on campus. I knew living in the dorm meant having a roommate. I received my dorm results and I saw that I would be living in Dabney Hall in a quad. This meant that I would be living with three other girls Tanya, Rosa, and Megan.

Coming to my room I didn’t know what to expect. There was Megan who is a UC dancer from Dayton. Tanya, who is a cute, little, black girl from Akron. Rosa, who is Korean, from New Jersey, and recently danced competitively on television. We all came from different backgrounds. We sat down and told each other our schedules. The biggest difference was that I had and 8:00 am class and they didn’t have class until 10:00 am. Rosa was up all night on the phone, Tanya came home at 3:00 am, and Megan’s extremely annoying boyfriend spent the night. We didn’t all get along because of our different schedules. When I woke up it was early and I needed to get ready for class. I wanted the lights on, but my roommates were asleep and I didn’t want to wake them. It was hard getting ready quietly in the dark. That night we decided to make a room agreement. We learned to compromise and set aside time to do homework and a time to be in bed. This helped so much, it allowed us to get our needed rest and we were all able to compromise with each others schedules.

I believe that living with a stranger is something everyone should have the opportunity to experience. I have learned how to compromise with others, which is something every one will have to do later in life, whither it is for job purposes or educational. I learned that everyone is different and we all come from different homes, in which have different rules. We all learn to compromise at one point in our life and mine was during my freshman year of college, while attending the University of Cincinnati. I had the opportunity to live in a dorm room with three amazing girls, roommates I wouldn’t change for the world.