Dorese - Cincinnati, Ohio

The Sheltered Life

“Congratulations you have been accepted into Tennessee State, Florida A&M, Alabama A&M and The University of Cincinnati.” This is what I see as I open my letters coming back from the applications that I’d sent out. Living in Cincinnati since I was 13 made me believe that staying here would be easy, opposed to going away to school. I believe playing it safe hindered my development to becoming independent.

Coming out of high school I had always knew I wanted to go to a Historically Black College/University. It was between Alabama A&M and Florida A&M. I applied to a few other schools and, of course, my safe school UC. Many questions started forming which made me have doubts. What if I was too far away and I got uncomfortable, and wasn’t able to make friends? A little after I thought carefully I had scared myself enough to just choose UC. I thought I’ll be on campus, yet I was close enough to come home if there was a need to. It would be an atmosphere that would be easy to adapt to socially and mentally. My views quickly changed when I found I wouldn’t be staying on campus.

Although I’m in college my home life still feels as if I’m still in high school. I have curfew with everywhere I go, I must do chores around the house, picking up and taking my brothers here and there. I told my dad I wanted to spend the night at my friend Faren’s house to watch movies with her and some guy friends. To my surprise he asked “Are her parents going to be there?” In that moment I thought when can I grow up? Looking from the outside in it seems living on any campus is a sure way to gain independence. With my friends living on campus I observe them and notice how they live freely. All of their experiences good and bad help them to grow up and gain the independence they have. They are faced with making adult decisions every day, such as, the choice to go to class or stay in and sleep. They gain the knowledge of knowing days to stay out late and when they are not able to because they have class in the morning. Also understanding there is a time to play and a time to work. Realizing there is no longer anyone there to guide them and shelter them

Living at home is the same old routine. Instead of me learning what to spend and things not to do its almost as if they are laid out for me by my parents. There has to be a time I am going to live on my own and not have anyone there controlling me. Staying on campus is a great place and as being a freshmen a wonderful time to develop independence.