Victor - Umeå, Sweden
Themes: work

“When I was your age, me and my friends had to walk EIGHT kilometers in snow up to our KNEES and plough the rink with our HANDS before we could play any hockey!”. When I was younger and and used to beg my parents for a ride, because i didn’t want to walk the ten minute stretch to the closest hockeyrink, this was a sentence that pretty often made it out of my dad’s mouth. Most times the argument ended with my mom driving me. Sometimes though, it ended with me just walking there so that I would get away from all of my dad’s nostalgic stories as fast as possible. Of course my dad always spiced these stories up a bit so that he would sound tough in front of me and my friends, because I know that my grandmother is, and always have been, too kind and caring to let him walk that far in cold weather.

Although, at the age of 17 I’m starting to see the point of my dad’s nagging. It wasn’t about him being too lazy to drive me, at least not all of the times, it was about will. I definately learned that if I ever want to get somewhere I will have to show a will, an ambition, to get there.

I believe that most times it’s no idea for me to work my butt of in school for good grades, because i don’t want to be a doctor, a lawyer or something like that. I want to succeed in life, and good grades isn’t, according to me, the best way to get there.

For example, one time, one of my friends told me a story about his dad’s cousin who became a pilot without even entering high-school. After the ninth grade he was so sick of school that he decided to quit school to fulfil his dream of becoming a pilot. He took a job as a luggage carrier at a local airport with the thought that if he just worked hard enough, always watching out for an opportunity, he would one day become a pilot. After a couple of years as a luggage carrier/ janitor he got his opportunity. The airport low staffed with local pilots so he got offered a place in the training program. Two decades later he makes about 13 thousand dollars a month, flying for one of the most prestigous airline companies, without even graduating high school.

I believe that in the end it always comes down to ambition. My ambition is to make something of my life that I can be proud of. To make the most of myself and also to create something from nothing that eventually will affect peoples lifes.

People at my age often get accused of being naive when they really are just being positive about the future. However, I’m very optimistic about the future and I’m not afraid to fail. Therefore I can honestly say that ambition is the most important thing in life if you ever want to get somewhere, this I believe.