Daniel - New Lenox, Illinois
Themes: work

This I Believe, I believe hard work pays off. A lot of people think, “What is the point?” The point is that somewhere down the road your hard work will make you better as a person, better at a sport, better in school, it will help you get that promotion that you wanted. The one thing that it will not do, it will not let you down.

My story is this, freshman year in high school, I tried out for the volleyball team, mind you I never touched a volleyball in my life, but I wanted to “get involved” as our school would say. On a Monday afternoon around one o’clock, I took a step into the gym. Without having any experience, I was frightened. The practice lasted only two hours and I was tired. After that day I did not think I was going to make it through day two. After the end of practice we found out if we made the team or not. I made the B team, sure it was not great or impressive but it was something. After a week I was elected team captain. Then it really got tough, there were times that I felt like giving up but I looked back and asked myself why I was doing this, then I realized I wanted to be a part of something and I was doing this for myself, so I could not give up that easily. With about six games left in the season, I was promoted to the A team.

The next year I was the starting middle hitter on the sophomore team, and again I was elected captain. That year our team won twenty-three games and only lost four. I had so much fun but the reason was because I had phenomenal coaches the past two years who pushed and supported me in the rough times and acknowledged me when I did something good. When I did something bad, they helped me to understand what I was doing wrong and how to fix the problem. That is why I feel proud on how much I improved from freshman year until now. But most of all, I can not wait until this Varsity season so I can show my coach how much I improved, and when she asks, I will tell her “Winning starts in the off-season and it starts with hard work.”

Vince Lombardi once said, “Leaders are made, not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worth while.” This quote inspired me because, basically, if I want to be remembered for something great, it all starts now with that hard work.

Now as our practices get harder and harder, I always pull back that memory of my volleyball experiences and it makes me want to push and give that last bit of energy because I know when I do, that it will make me great in the long run. But I believe that those who succeed are the one’s who gave their sweat, tears, and who gave one-hundred and ten percent at each and everything they did.