Bryan - Lawrence, Kansas

Awhile ago I crashed my car into a ditch. I’m not very religious, but I find it interesting how religious someone can get when they lose control of a situation. I guess that’s why many people find God at their lowest point, you never hear of a person turning to God after something awesome happens, “God…please be with me because these cinnamon roles my mom baked are delicious!”

It really is a helpless feeling when your car, along with gravity and inertia decide to start making the decisions instead of you.

“No, I don’t want to tale spin…..oh, fine I suppose it not up to ME anymore”

I found myself trying to make deals with the forces of nature.

“Ok, we can spin out of control, but can we at least wait until after we pass the creek? I hate getting wet with my clothes on….”

I continued bargaining

“….and dying, I really hate dying.”

It all started when I tried to pass a semi truck that was moving at the speed of Congress. I scooted my car calmly into the passing lane as safely as I could, keeping my (sweaty) palms on the wheel. My tires, which come to find out, have the traction ability of a stick of butter that has been dipped in baby oil, caused me to fish tail right into a ditch.

So now I’m in a ditch, and I phoned my mother. Is it pathetic that my first instinct was to call mommy? When you’re a kid, mom is always the first person to know when something bad happens. Scrape your knee from a bike accident? “MOM!!!!” But I’m 23, and it appears that I have not completely strayed away from the “9 year old” style of damage control. Evidently the first thing on my checklist when I go into “I’m scared” mode is “1. Call mom.” “Pee Pants” almost made the list, but I decided to make a last minute change to the schedule.

So I called the Highway Patrol because my tax dollars are awesome. While I was waiting in the ditch a nice man, whose kindness, if turned into gasoline, would be enough fuel to move an SUV across the country, offered me help. I said “thanks” but I called the highway patrol and they said they’d be here shortly. I now have a different opinion of truck drivers, this guy was nice and I hope he continues to help people, but thankfully I had a cell phone.

I believe that when everything is failing around you, it’s eternally comforting to know that there are people in your life that will take care of you no matter what. I believe when you combine faith, the love of a parent and the good of the common person, it makes you strong enough to pass through any crisis. Though my crisis is relatively small when compared to other problems, I’m still comforted to know that I have a support system that will always be with me.