ileana - Hereford, Arizona
Themes: children

Is talking to your children about sex right?

I believe talking to your children about sex at an early age is very important. Although some parents cringe at the fact, talking to your children about sex is vital to their well-being. Being informed at an early age can help children comprehend their biological origins.

As a child, my friend never knew where children came from, and frankly she did not really care. At that time she was living with her two sisters, a brother, and two step-brothers. She discovered sex when she walked in on her step brother. He was watching pornography. Thereafter, she wanted to know more and more, mainly because in her family it was forbidden to talk about sex. The more her parents kept this information from her, the more she wanted to find out. Sometime later, she turned on the television and recognized what looked to be pornography. She could not distinguish what she saw because the television was fuzzy, but there she was trying to analyze what was happening.

Maybe this is why there is such a high percentage of teen-pregnancy throughout the United States today, especially in Arizona. Maybe the children of America ought to have this information. Parents should not worry about informing their children about sex because a child is not going to immediately engage in sex. Most children are not interested in the opposite sex. Hormone changes happen at puberty. A good time to talk to your children would be before and after puberty. Children and more often teenagers should be reminded time after time what could happen if one is sexually active. This repeated information is vital so that they can remember and understand the consequences. For example, a discussion about sex could include how babies are conceived, when would be a great time to have them, and how to protect yourself to prevent pregnancy, AIDS, and other diseases.

No teen should be a part of these high rate teen-pregnancy statistics. Having babies at a young age it is not easy or smart. I should know because that little girl was me.