George - Watertown, Massachusetts
Themes: immigrant

I believe that all the things in life amount to the same result which might differ from one person to another depending on what you are talking about.

I am a young man origanally from Kenya and I have been here for about ten years. What led me to my believe is the fact that I always asked myself what I would be/ what I would be doing if I stayed in Kenya. Would I be doing better than I am now or worse.

Then I realised that, for one it was impossible to know the answer to my questions but I thing was for sure, I was here doing what I am doing now and all that other stuff did not matter. If I was in Kenya, I would have been doing something else more relative to my survival in that environment.

It came to my attention one day driving to school that when I took a “short-cut” it was always bumpy and with a lot of turns but it was shorter and with less traffic. I was always going to the mechanic to have my vehicle repaired for small thing here and there.

On the other hand, when I took the expressway, the road was smoother with less turns but with more traffic. I took my car for repairs less. This had me thinking. In life you get one thing but you give up something else. I started to see that all the events in life took you somewhere but also took you away from something else. Everything amounts to the same result depending on the what you are doing. We as humans should look at the results of our actions while we try to get to our goals in life. The short-cut maybe faster but it also has its disadvantages.