Patrick - Seattle, Washington

What is success to one whom is not happy? When were your greatest moments? When you were drinking to escape the stresses of adulthood? Or when you were a kid doing whatever you wanted. Society makes it a must, for when we grow up we are to go to college, get a job, find a wife, and live the rest of your life a slave to society. Destroying hopes and dreams along the way. Though don’t get me wrong, education is extremely important, though I think there are other ways of achieving knowledge other than attending college. You don’t have to do what your parents or the rest of society tells you. Do what feels right for you. Don’t waste your life doing something you don’t even want to do. If your happy then what does it matter anyways?

I play guitar in a hardcore band, and the whole experience of it has leaded me to many great personal choices, one such being straight edge, the choice to withdraw from the acts of any drinking or smoking. It also gave me a sense of belonging, which I never found in school. In school I always find myself distanced from the other students for I feel as if I think in a different way then them. Though when I am at a show I am side-by-side people who I know I can relate to. As I continue to go to shows, I feel the same age, standing there screaming along to my favorite band. There is no difference between me now and me in 6th grade. This will continue until the end. I believe that hardcore will keep me young until I die, and when I am “supposed” to be settling down getting married, I will still be there in a basement, or anywhere else there’s a place to plug in an amp, playing or attending more shows. Thus living my life the why I want to, not giving in to societies plan.