Robert - Sierra Vista, Arizona

I remember one of the many incidents that have occurred in my life, where I felt revenge was the answer. Even when you get it, it is never sweet. It enlightened me to what life is really about.

In my sophomore year of high school, there was incident where I was being teased by an upperclassman, because I was trying to defend a friend of mine. I stood up to the bully, because no one else would. This bully mocked and ridiculed me in front of his friends, harassing me about my being overweight. As he was trying to provoke a fight, I gave in, standing face to face with this hulk. He pushed me flinging me back like a rag doll. He and his friends stood laughing. I never felt so embarrassed in my life, especially with many students at school watching this happen. My friends could not do anything about it, because they probably would have faced a worse consequence than I would have, especially being outnumbered. After the bullies left, I sat disgusted at what happened. I had a vengeful taste in my mouth, I wanted revenge. It was not long until school was over. That was when I began lifting weights and learning techniques in fighting. I trained all summer waiting for that moment to confront him. Three months later I finally got my chance. I found him walking alone in the hallways of school. I walked towards him, immediately slamming him into the wall. I knew he recognized me. I looked straight into his eyes, they were different than the year before. I saw fear and fed from it. I harassed him, showing him how it felt. I wanted to hurt him for embarrassing me. The urge of hitting him came to my mind. Right before pummeling him, I realized what I was doing. I was not this kind of person. I accomplished what I set out to do, yet I still felt like the victim. Instead of bettering myself, I sank to his level. I got my revenge, humiliating him as he did to me. I let go of him and walked away. It changed me showing that life is about standing up for what I believe in. Standing up for the wrong, but never causing it. I believe that we should never give in to revenge. It lowered me, instead of making me a better person. Revenge is not always what it is cut out to be.