Aaron - Issaquah, Washington

In an army there are many different ranks but no matter what rank you are you will always take orders from the General. It is the same on the baseball field, there is a general out there who takes charge and lets everybody know what to do. That is why I believe that the Catcher on the field must take control of the team for that team to be successful. For a team to be able to operate efficiently everybody must listen and follow what the catcher is saying. When you look at a field most people will see the golden glove winning outfielders and the unbelievable shortstops, but with all of these players and awards comes the man who directs them all. The catcher sees the whole field; he is the only one who really knows everything that is going on and therefore takes charge of everybody on it. From the first pitch to the last he must command the obedience of others, without it the team doesn’t function properly. You may not know it but on the field there is a lot of chaos that happens. The catcher has to be loud; he must be louder than all of the others on the field and in the stadium. If the catcher wasn’t the loudest the outfielders wouldn’t know where to through it towards. The cutoff man wouldn’t know to let it go, or to cut it to a different base. Without these there would be more runs scored and outs that could have been but weren’t. Then there is the infield, everything has to be smooth. Grounders must have a direction; people have to know what is going on. If there is man on base, the fielders must know whether to tern two or to only go for the single out.

The catcher is always in the game, always in the play no matter what you think. You could name any play or scenario and I could tell you how the catcher would be involved. I have been catching my whole life and there have been times where I didn’t do my job as the leader of the field, things fell apart. I have learned through mistakes, hard work, and the constant beating into my head by coaches of how important it is that the catcher take charge of there field. There have been times where I have made decisions that were the wrong ones and they have cost us. I got so wrapped up in the moment that I made a wrong decision. A catcher can’t do this. One must always keep his cool and make sure he knows what is going on around him. He must know where everybody fits into the grand scheme in order for it to work. When the opposite coach sees the catcher he looks at his aspects. I coach may have to change his whole game plan based on how good the catcher is. That is why I believe that on the field there is only one important position, the one behind the plate, the catcher.