sheila - benson, Arizona

America the Great

I believe that the United States of America is still the greatest country in the world. Our forefathers founded this country on a firm foundation of pride, morality and freedom of choice. Of course, those that superseded them have made missteps and decisions that have threatened to compromise this very foundation. Over the last century, we’ve become involved in a number of wars and social unrests that many in opposing countries have believed that just wasn’t our business. During this past decade, the discovery of terrorism has become an increasing threat to our national security

Where else on God’s green earth can you find such a diversity of ethnic, religious and social backgrounds? We still adhere to our forefather’s stances relating to freedom of choice and freedom of speech. We may not agree with each other’s religious or sexual preferences, but we’ll defend to the death that person’s right to make that choice. I still believe that we are one nation under God and the most influential, envied and sought out country to live in the world.

I believe that there aren’t many who will not debate with me that there has been a drastic decline in morality. Congress has passed laws that many have deemed controversial and a contributing factor to the moral decline of this great nation. The generation of today won’t ever consider any of our ‘role models’, their ‘role models’. They march to the beat of their own drummer(s). But that’s alright in it’s own way. At least they are marching.

The events that surrounded the terrorist attack of September 11, 2001, broke my heart. I mean, how dare these people from a strange and foreign land do this to the people of our country. I think we all grew up on that day. If we didn’t grow up, we certainly grew a bit wiser. On that day, I stopped taking my freedom for granted. When I was a child, I often wondered why we didn’t have war on our soil, when so much war was going on in Vietnam at the time. That day bought all those old childhood memories and fears flooding back to me. I now know why there are no wars on American soil. It’s because of the great men who founded this great nation. They were praying men, men of valor and God has continued to answer their prayers, even today. He has continued to bless America.