Jay - Arizona

I Believe Essay

I have spent my life trying to do the right thing for the wrong reasons, because I believe that was what was expected of me. I was expected to be honest, helpful, and patient all the while upholding a cheerful smile with no thought for my self. My whole life I’ve listened to the notion of others as to what I should be doing and how my efforts would someday be rewarded. I believe in independence, the belief in one’s self, but most of all I believe in second chances.

For me, a second chance came at a heavy price. Everything slid off track seven years ago, when I was twenty-five. I would often work two jobs and saving vicariously for some rainy day. One hot August day in 2000, my life changed drastically. I broke my back at work and now walk with a cane. However, this was not so simple. A few weeks after coming home from the hospital my independence was shattered. I could not perform the simplest tasks by myself. My so-called friends and boss from work called to belittle me, stating, “If you don’t stop faking you won’t have a job.” For many nights my mind set asunder, bewildered by what may come on dawn’s eternal rise. My heart only had the fury that comes from hate, sickened with sadness and broken with worry over the betrayal of others and it was with a heavy heart and with dreary lids that I lay there awhile longer. No comfort came to me as my eyes filled with tears of despair.

It has taken me a few years of struggling through hardships to prevail, for independence, though this would not have been possible without the unseen power of the almighty Lord. One night, while slumbering in deeper depression a loud voice exclaimed, “You are alive! You have been honest, helpful and you have waited patiently. Gather yourself, your future waits.” Was this the medication talking or, had I really been given a second chance? By dawn’s early rise, I felt a renewed sense of life, an outright yearning and a sense of joy. I am aspiring to do more with my life now that I have been given a second chance. After a few weeks, I applied for classes at a local community college, and I am now ready to start a new chapter in my life.

This is why I believe in the opportune sense of second chances, because a second chance has given me independence and self worth. Most importantly, second chances have given me an annuity for life and the chance to achieve long sought after goals. With my newly found independence and inspiring self worth, given to me by a daunting second chance, I have laid the foundation for my future. No longer shattered by other people’s notions or expectations, I strive one day at a time accomplishing what I can by putting one foot in front of the other, careful not to look back, not even clandestinely.