Jeannet - Chicago, Illinois

This I Believe…

I believe that wisdom comes with age. I was born a mere 16 years ago, not long ago at all. My whole young life, well, as far as I can remember, my parents have lectured me about “young people” not know anything about life. About stupid mistakes made because of lack of life experience.

I remember saying to myself, “they’re crazy; they don’t know anything about what life is about.”

Now that I myself have gained a little life experience and knowledge, I have learned that my thinking was definitely incorrect. The reason that there are so many young people in the county jails; there are so many people living on the streets; there are so many people whose life has been completely and drastically ruined is because they have made poor decisions when they were younger, because they did not have that experience to back their actions up.

The older someone gets, the better decision-making abilities they have. Now, not everyone takes advantage of these abilities, even though they should; but those who do, are the ones who are most successful in life.

Another thing that comes with experience is the ability to give advice, because as the years pass by, it is more possible for someone to commit an ignorant mistake, and then later reflect on it with someone younger so that they won’t do it, or at least will think about it twice before they do it.

Parents are especially experts at this because they have more life experience and they have gone through so many ups and downs in their lives. When they do give advice, I think it is very important to listen to them, because there is a very high chance that in one point of ones life something like or similar to it will happen, and then one will know what to do at that point.

So thinking back on all the childish and foolish mistakes I can definitely say that these were done because I didn’t have the experience needed to deduct that what I was doing would not turn out as I had planned. So I would’ve had more experience, I would’ve had the knowledge to tell me this. This I believe.