Brittany - Norman, Oklahoma

When I was little one of my favorite things to do was go bake at my Grandma’s house. One time we even cooked a whole dinner and at just five years old I demanded that my entire family dress up for a nice dinner, complete with candles and fabric napkins. I was so excited. As I grew up my Grandma was the one person that I could always count on to support my ideas. When I first had the idea to attend college at the University of Oklahoma, while my friends and family questioned my decision, I can still remember sitting at the table with my Grandma and her saying to me, “You do whatever you want to, not what others want you to do.”

One month before I graduated high school my Grandma passed away due to complications cause by breast cancer. It was a long, painful process leading to her death, including one month of my Grandma being in a coma. Even though I was busy finishing my senior year of school I spent many nights just sitting in that room in silence with the rest of my family. We decided to take her off the ventilator after my Grandpa felt that he had his time to say goodbye. For as close as our family was, it was hard to realize just how pivotal my grandma was in our time together.

I left for college two weeks after I graduated, which meant that I was fourteen hours, and three states away from my tight family. At my graduation my step dad gave me a box with a ring inside. The ring had belonged to my Grandma and he wanted me to have it. It was a beautiful ring and looked almost antique. I tried it on only to realize that it fit only my pinky ring but was loose enough to fall off. I really wanted to wear the ring but I did not want to lose it, so I slid it onto a necklace that I had. Since that day, I have worn my Grandma’s ring around my neck.

I believe that wearing my Grandma’s ring around my neck is a way for me to heal. Every time I put it on I think about her. When I look in the mirror and see it, I think about her. When people ask me what the ring around my neck is for I am able to tell them about my Grandma. I am able to remember my Grandma everyday. This used to make me sad to think about her, but after almost three years of thinking about and remembering her everyday, this process makes me happy. I am so happy to have spent the years with her that I have, and even more happy to remember her now. I now know that my Grandma will never be forgotten.