christopher - bedford, Texas
Themes: setbacks

Ephemeral Failure Leads to Eternal Exaltedness

Throughout my life I have tripped only to later catch myself, broken a bone and learned to be more cautious, and failed a test only to study harder; I have also taken notice of coaches losing games only to later win the championship game, political leaders falter in a campaign, yet still win the election, and even my parents arguing, which solidified their love for one another. I believe that in order for me to truly succeed and be happy, I must endure the vicissitudes that life has to offer: failure and success.

This belief was instilled in me at an early age, which I thank sports for providing; I only later truly realized everything that encompassed failure during my first few years in college. I entered the university with the same ambition as most of my classmates: succeed academically, meet new people and earn a degree in the process. However, my first few test scores dampened this ambition. I did not know how to study in the college environment, especially since my high-school years consisted of sporadic studying. Here I was an International Baccalaureate student, Texas scholar, and National Honor Society member and I was earning grades across the board. After my first year at this university I decided I might need to reevaluate my situation; so I enrolled into a local community college where I could gain my “college legs” and start my academic journey anew. During my years at the community college I came across professors who actually had caring attributes. These professors taught me that nothing in life that’s worth having comes free, and working for something requires hard work, determination, and a little bit of luck. My entire academic career I had doubted and not given enough credit to my abilities, but I had gained new reason to continue my college years and transfer into a major university where I could earn a microbiology degree and go on to medical school.

There is a dramatic change when someone enters college; this change is both physical and psychological. I knew that no man lives forever, no coach or athlete wins them all, and that all of lives experiences have a certain purpose. There is a sense of immortality and naivety that a child possesses. I knew that I would lose football games, scrap my knees, lose a girl, and even fail a test from time to time. However, I did not realize that if I didn’t know how to lose I couldn’t know how to win; that if I did not know how to be more careful at the playground I might have scraped knees as I write this paper. I now know and fully understand that a little failure every once and a while is worth it in the long run and is what makes life so wonderful.