Andrew - Norman, Oklahoma

When I was little, there was one man who was more important to me than anyone else. He had a white beard, a big red coat, and his name was Santa Clause. My parents even told me that Santa Clause and me shared the same birthday, which made him even more special to me. However, some kids at school talked sometimes about Santa not even existing. Before long, I found myself pondering if the man I looked up so much was even a bona fide person or if the whole thing was a huge hoax. Christmas time came and so did all the decorations. The monumental display of Christmas lights and figures of Santa with his reindeer in almost every yard in my neighborhood quickly removed any doubts I had about the Santa hoax, and cemented my belief in Santa Clause as a rock hard foundation that could withstand any force. The fact that people spent so much of their time, money, and energy getting prepared for Christmas; the day that the world’s greatest man comes and delivers presents to everyone and only asks for milk and cookies in return. I remember laughing at the dumb kids at school who thought that Santa didn’t deliver the presents, but their parents would put them there in the middle of the night. I so sure Santa Clause was real. Finally, one day came that will be engraved in my memory forever. I went over to my friend’s house after school to hang out. For some reason, Santa Clause was the focus of a discussion among us and led my friend to tell that he was, in fact, a phony. I argued with him, but the final blow came to me after he asked his mom to tell us that he wasn’t real. She turned and looked over at us and said, “He’s right, Santa isn’t real.” My stomach dropped. It felt as if my whole universe was turned upside down and the fundamental laws of reason didn’t exist anymore. I didn’t comprehend why so many people had lied to their kids and made them believe in this imaginary Santa Clause. The whole experience came to shape my belief now in uncertainty. I believe that no person can ever be certain about anything in this world. People are wrong all the time; it is just part of being human. How can people be completely sure about what is real and what isn’t. No science experiment will ever be one hundred percent correct. This is why uncertainty is the one thing I am certain about now. You never know though, maybe Santa Clause does exist.