Rockford - Edmond, Oklahoma
Themes: love

My grandfather wore certain clothing on particular occasions, and it was the same outfit every time. He wore a navy blue robe that almost appeared black next to his vibrant scarf across his neck. The robe was not a normal robe nor was his scarf a typical scarf. This scarf was a blinding silk gold and extended down to his waist. Found on each end of the scarf was a stitched symbol known to many as sacrifice. Over the scarf was an enormous chain that was weighted by the same symbol. My grandfather was important when wearing this attire. He was a man who was looked up to in the community and amongst his family. On the same days he wore this outfit he was found in the same place as the last time he wore it. This place was magnificent in its art and was one of the few buildings in the urban area that had not been vandalized. My grandfather stood strong and firm on the northern end of the building facing the larger more open south end. Behind him, raised to the highest peak of the building was a larger and more vivid picture of sacrifice. Directly below this was a mural of men and women who sacrificed their homes, families, and lives. Among the many filling the rest of the building I sat on the first row, listening to him teach about the many sacrifices that were made through history. Whether it was someone who sacrificed their life to give hope to others or a soldier fighting for what he believed in. Listening to the stories of all the people who have sacrificed for the better of humanity began the foundation of my belief. This I believe, sacrifice.

I believe that the underlying meaning behind everything I do is influenced by sacrifice. Sacrifice is the foundation to my thought process from the moment I sleep all the way through my daily routines in life. I sacrifice my sleep and time to get educated. I sacrifice my thoughts and voice to listen to others. Most importantly I sacrifice the little things such as opening the door for people not far behind. I sacrifice my selfishness to make others feel comfortable and at ease. My philosophy is to do selfless good deeds for others no matter what the cost.This is not always easy because my belief is tested with every decision I make. It is continually being challenged, not only by others but mainly by my self. Since I am human I naturally have selfish tendencies. It’s in my instincts to watch out for myself. The selfishness of my mind is the opposing kingdom to my sacrifice. In the end no matter what decision I make, in any situation, I have somehow in some form sacrificed a piece of myself. This I believe, sacrifice.