Robert - Tulsa, Oklahoma

Brotherly Love

I first experienced brotherly love when I was in seventh grade, even though I did not realize it at the time. I was at a church lock-in where everybody pulled an all-nighter. I remember talking to my friend Stephen in a small hallway for about three to four hours. We talked about girls, music, movies, our family life, our relationship with Christ, and other subjects popular among youth. I feel like we talked about everything that night, and I had never before told anybody about half the stuff we talked about. I felt like I had known Stephen my whole life from this one deep conversation. It felt good to share my thoughts and to just clear my mind and put those thoughts into words I had never put into words. After I got some sleep the next morning, I thought about the deep conversation we had, and I realized that we had started something special. In the months following, Stephen and I had become best friends because we both genuinely cared about what was going on in the other person’s life. We eventually became accountability partners and throughout high school we continued to be accountability partners for each other. But the best thing of all is that through this relationship, I had grown closer to Christ, and I know Stephen had too.

Throughout high school and college Stephen and I have stayed close, but we have started to invest in other peoples’ lives. With every new friendship, I try to make it as meaningful as possible. I go out of my way to help the friend so they will gain trust in me and hopefully one day open up to me when I have a chance to open up to them. Brotherly love is not just hanging out with someone; it is actually getting to know that person inside and out. With this type of relationship, I know I am loved, and I know I can count on that person for anything. In my life brotherly love is a top priority because these relationships mean more to me than just about anything. These relationships have taught me how to be diligent, and how to be real with other people. I have grown in every aspect of my life through these relationships with other guys. I believe in brotherly love because that is how Jesus spread his ministry with his twelve apostles.