Jeffrey - Tulsa, Oklahoma

Compeition

I believe in competition in every day life. Competition to me is not the act that determines winners and losers, but rather competition for the sake of motivation. I find that any form of competition is a step to my achievement and personal betterment. I don’t seek competition for the chance to dominate others, instead to only improve upon my weaknesses. To me competition is what drives me to succeed.

I have no estimate on when I became, what some would consider, overly competitive, only I can guarantee it was at an early age. I was three when my family moved to Lexington, a city in Kentucky completely fanatical with basketball. My older sister made the decision to begin playing basketball that year and not shortly afterwards I followed suite. From that point on, I practiced when she practiced but longer. I watched games when she watched games but more intently. I wanted to better at the game the two of us were playing. It was nothing against her, she was my best friend, but I had to prove it to myself that I could do it.

Several years later, I had moved on to bigger and better things and recently started attending a private high school. It was the nicest school I had attended and equally the most difficult. For the first time in my life it was cool to make good grades, work hard, and achieve elsewhere than in athletic competition. I had never pushed my self academically and to be honest I didn’t want to. After a year of struggles, I gradually learned the only way to excel in my new endeavor was to treat them just like the games I played growing up, as a competition. I immediately was competing with fellow classmates, my friends, and my own previous results. The outcome was steady improvement not only in grades but lifestyle.

I am now attending the University of Oklahoma where I constantly compete with my peers for grades in classes of over 200. Later this semester, I will be competing with nearly 1200 business students for the privilege to study in the school of business. Years later, I have to be ranked in the top 12 of applicants for the chance to attend the graduate school of my choice. My competitions aren’t limited to my studies; I undergo competition in nearly every aspect of my life. Competition pushes me, it drives me, and most importantly it brings me success.