Douglas - Syracuse, New York
Themes: nature

I believe in trees.

I’ve always considered trees to be one of the most beautiful expressions of nature. I have been fortunate enough to live in a region blessed with many trees, and to have grown up in their watchful presence.

I can’t pretend to be an expert or an authority on trees; I can only identify a few of them by name. Yet I feel a strong kinship with these remarkable life forms – rooted so deep in the earth, in memories, in buried secrets, yet reaching skyward with their uppermost branches, and swaying in the wind with such eloquent, graceful gestures: what more poignant metaphor could there be for human longing and human striving?

Trees always seem to reflect my thoughts and feelings back to me. They are like a secret language of the soul: I can read trees as one consults with an oracle, to see more clearly into myself. Like the trees, I am a being deeply rooted in time and space, yet continually reaching beyond the “facts” of my life to try and grasp their larger meaning.

Trees are connected to the world, but are not contained by it. The deeper they grow, the higher they reach. For them, to live is to aspire.

Time gives and takes from us all. I have gained and lost many things in my life, and I know this process will continue. I may lose people close to me; I may lose my health; I may lose the ability to work, or to accomplish the many things I still aspire to. What I hope I will never lose is the companionship of trees, and the chance to sit and watch them through a window, or outside on a bench, or from the airy shelter of a porch.

As long as I believe in myself, I will believe in trees.