Jodi - Richardson, Texas

The Invisible Healer

You cannot see or smell it, and it is not tangible; yet, it is one of the best cures for human suffering. If a baby is crying, if a girl has her heart broken, if a boy has hurt himself or if it has just been a bad day for someone, those closest to the person will strive to make them feel better by cracking a joke or saying something witty. Why? Because laughter heals and rejuvenates. Laughing is a universal experience and is sought after by everyone. We all love a good laugh, and it is one of the first emotions a baby develops from birth. When I was a little girl I loved to hang out with my older brother and his friends, and every summer we would all go to the public pool to have some fun. One hot summer day while we were splashing around, a small fight broke out between my brother and one of his friends. I was not use to this dissension in the group so I began to cry and scream at them to make them stop. They eventually ceased, but I would not stop crying. On the way back my brother and all his friends tried to make me laugh by making funny faces or singing goofy songs. They accomplished their goal within minutes, and I was laughing like nothing had ever happened. Even kids recognize the need for laughter in our lives. After a long day at work one night, my dad came home worn down and tired. After ten minutes of watching the television show Bloopers, as news casters would mess up their lines or accidentally say something profane with the slip of a tongue, my dad’s entire demeanor had changed due to the incessant laughing. When it was over he sighed and exclaimed “OH, I needed that!” recognizing his serenity and relief from laughing too much. Laughter has been proven to prolong life, create calmness within a person and bring joy throughout this world. I believe laughter and joy are amazing gifts we have been given to handle the stress that life brings to us.