Renee - Hereford, Arizona

This I Believe…

This I believe… one cannot give kindness and grace, unless one has known kindness and grace. To be gentle and kind to all who may pass our way, even if it is not returned, does make a difference in the lives around us. A friend once told me, “You can make a difference in a person’s life, even with a momentary smile when you pass them on the street.

The kindness of my great grandmother has impacted the course of my life since I was 3 or 4 years old. The gentle memory of dark nights listening to her voice as she lay beside me, telling me stories of Jesus while the dim light in the living room cast their shadows just beyond the bedroom door. So much of the time that she spent with me is so rooted deep in my heart that it has influenced who I have become over all these years. Clinging to the words that Jesus loved me, even when it often felt like no one else did.

How fondly I remember spring days, walking in the garden with her while the trees were in full bloom, and the smell of honey was in the air, listening to her gentle words. I have many memories in my mind of moments she took to let me know I mattered. When she grew old and frail, her eyes too dim to see, she would have me sit beside her bed and read from the book that spoke of forgiveness and a kind, loving, and faithful God.

I wonder now that she has passed away, does she know the great impact that her kindness and love has played in my life? Her influence laying the very foundation of my life, giving me glimpses of a god of discipline, and compassion. Over the course of my life, I have sought to live for the God that I have come to trust and love, even as she did.

This I hope… to live my life in such a way as she; that those who know me may also be impacted, as I once was. As she once did, I also must take the time to let people know they matter, and that they are known, even if they feel it but for a brief moment, by a smile or a thank you.