Sarah - Chelan, Washington

Selfishness… our society is full of it. I can’t even go to the grocery store without being cut in front of anymore. I believe that our society has changed with time for the worst. People have become so rude and inconsiderate.

I remember as a little kid always going to the grocery store to pick up some small items like milk, ice cream, or candy. When I would walk up to the line to pay I would always get stuck behind the family with ten or more people and they would have a cart filled with tons and tons of groceries. The person in front of me would usually always let me go ahead of them to pay because I would only have one or two items and it would take forever and a day to wait behind them.

Now days I will find myself waiting forever in a line at the store. Not because people don’t let me go ahead of them, but because people will cut in front of me, and others.

People in today’s world, mostly teenagers also get very selfish when it comes to music. I know it sounds dumb, but when someone finds an artist they really like, they want to keep their music all to themselves and don’t want that artist to get popular because they “found” them first. When a specific artist that isn’t very popular becomes popular, the people that heard them “first” sort of freak out and get all upset and say the music was “stolen” from them. In my opinion, people shouldn’t freak out about silly little things like music, because in our would today we have tons of other things that we should be worrying about.

I believe that things in our society have changed immensely over time but I don’t believe that people need to become so rude and selfish towards others. It’s like my parents always used to say… treat others how you would like to be treated. It’s the golden rule!