Marcia - Hereford, Arizona

I Believe

I believe… life is learning from the moment we arrive until we leave life.

My mother would ask “What did you learn today?” There was always something to tell her. Learning simple things like writing the alphabet or basic math, we build our respect for ourselves and others, obtaining confidence in completing what we set our minds to. My mother would listen to what I had to say then ask questions to show an interest in my learning experience. Learning in our daily lives prepares us for the future and more accessible to increase our knowledge which in turn builds a mind willing to expand even more.

As a senior in high school, I made the decision to go into the military. My mother told me on our way to the bus stop, that learning is not only in books but also being open to other people beliefs and viewpoints. In basic training and advance individual training I was able to get a more diverse experience for learning just by being open to so many different people from so many places that I would not have gotten to know if I had stayed in my home town.

By following my mother’s words I have been able to learn from books and life’s experiences of other people. My mother may not have attended college but she shared the gift that learning was an important priority in life. My life has been enhanced on a daily basis due to these words of wisdom. I have been able to open my mind to accept more knowledge because she was able to develop my curiosity through having confidence and respect for many different viewpoints. My mother enjoyed learning until the very end. She wanted me to explore the world to learn and be able to grow as a person instead of merely existing. I feel that by using this knowledge I have been able to accomplish what she wanted. Even now I want to continue to learn and I can develop my learning experiences into everyday life. Learning has enriched my life through every aspect and I hope that everyone can have the opportunity to learn something new each day.