Tina - Sierra Vista, Arizona

Have you ever noticed that people will do anything for high social status?

Sometimes they will act like a complete different person just to fit in and be accepted.

It almost seems, that the strive for popularity is so strong, that it impairs peoples

judgment and wrong decisions are made. I believe that if you be yourself and make your

own decisions, you’ll be happier than trying to be someone you’re not

I never realized until after I graduated that high school is just one big popularity

war. No matter your social status every teenager deals with the same issues. Teenagers

can be very cruel. They tear each other into shreds with their criticism, making the need

to fit in stronger.

Peer pressure is one of the most powerful things in a teens life. Often dumb

decisions are made to impress one another. I have heard stories of people jumping off two

story buildings, drinking, abusing drugs, even having intercourse just to gain approval

from their peers. With behavior like that, you’ll end up with friends who aren’t

really your friends, because they don’t know the real you.

It’s bogus to me, spending so much time trying to be someone that you’re not, and

for what? Besides, who ever said what’s cool from what’s not? Not everyone is rich and

can afford the nicest clothes. True friends wont judge you for the amount of money you have, or if you choose not to drink. They will accept you for who you are, and your

beliefs . They would never pressure you into doing something that you’re uncomfortable

I understand the pressures that teens face in high school, because I experienced it.

The fight for popularity was like a black hole and I was sucked right in. I even made a

few wrong decisions, but I learned from them. I found that I was happier doing my own

thing, my own way. I made friends that were true, that would never judge me. I even got

better grades because I stopped focusing on what other people were doing or thinking. I

was happy being myself.

Pretending like someone you are not, gets you nowhere. Who wants to spend all

their time trying to satisfy other people? It’s pointless. Just be yourself, make your own

decisions, you’ll be happy and I guarantee you’ll go far!