Cynthia - Naco, Arizona

I believe in family. Family is the base and the force that forms a person. I believe a family should be united in good or bad situations. I believe my family is the strength that helps me succeed even in the worst circumstances.

For me, Thanksgiving Day was, as always lonely, a simple dinner, and after eating going to sleep. To me, Thanksgiving didn’t have the spirit of family, the strength of unity and no will for giving thanks for having such a wonderful family.

My mother is a busy woman. She is a child care provider. She looks after six children. In addition, she is a mother, wife, head of the house, and daughter. She is an important person in many people’s lives.

Around late August, my mother was really ill and needed to have surgery. I had to fill in for her position in the house and fulfill her duties. Just thinking about it discomforts me. I remember needing lots of support to help me get through this demanding time. I was fearful and extremely nervous. I didn’t know if she was going to be okay.

When I arrived to the hospital I thought the waiting room was going to be like another Thanksgiving Day of loneliness and sadness. But it wasn’t what I imagined. I was surprised to see the waiting room surrounded with my cousins, uncles and aunts. Everyone was there, family that I hadn’t seen in years. Just looking at everyone laughing yet worried about my mom gave me plenty of support. They gave me the power to move on. Those two hours of waiting in the waiting room, being surrounded with the warmth of my family, was the support I was looking for.

My mother was in the hospital for almost a month. Thank God she is doing fine right now. Until this day, my family has become united. For me it’s like a dream come true. Now, I know if I ’m ever in a quandary, my family will be there to help me succeed in life.