Jordan - Seminole, Oklahoma
Themes: sports

I fail. Inevitability, no matter how hard I work there’s still the possibility that the end will culminate in failure. Most people look at failure as a negative thing. I, on the other hand, look at failure as a necessity. Failure produces what I believe in.

With one knee down on the turf of the University of Oklahoma’s football field, a field that I had just sweat on, bled on, and exhausted myself on, I looked up at my coach as he was consoling us on our high school state championship loss. I wasn’t really paying attention. I was still running through in my mind all of the plays that had just occurred. The thought then occurred to me that the culmination of two sacrificial years of my life had just ended in utter defeat. Sure, I was angry and disappointed and at a loss for words. I had never worked so hard for something in my life and for it to end in such disappointment stunned me. It took a while, but I realized that failure is a necessary part of life. Necessary in the fact that failure scares us into working even harder to avoid it, motivates us in those last few moments of a given task, and prevents us from ever giving up no matter the outlook. For me, failure produced in me what I believe in today.

No matter what the outcome was to my state championship game, I had done what I firmly believe in. I had persevered to the end. So no matter how hard my college degree gets, I will see it to the end. No matter how hard my personal life gets, I will see it to the end. And no matter how hard my spiritual life gets, I will see it to the end. I will never give up, I will stick to it through the hard times and the bad, and I will be on top of the mountain at the end of my climb. Call it what you like, but I believe in perseverance. For how could we live our lives everyday without it?