Kaylee - Blanchard, Oklahoma

One of my very first memories as a child was playing with my best friend at the time, Mikala. We were hiding from our older brothers in Mikala’s mom’s closet. For the first four years of our lives, she was my closest companion. We were inseparable. My family and I had to move to Louisiana soon after I was four, and entirely new relationships had to be formed. I never thought I would be whole again. I, along with my brothers and sister, all had to start over. We were nervous about the move, but we knew there were so many potential friends out there. This led me to a new best friend named Alyssa. Just as soon as I found my inseparable companion, a new move was in the works. This would be the final move to my current home of Oklahoma. By this point, I had become a professional at forming new relationships. Although my brothers and sister and I all seemed to have to start new lives after every move, my parents always seemed so stable in their relationship. They did not have to worry about looking for new friends, because they always had one another. They had friends, but it was obvious that their hearts were with each other. It was then that I realized that our whole lives were a search for an ultimate goal. In my parent’s case, they were each other’s finale.

As a child, I was in constant search of a best friend. Those seemed to come and go over time, yet I still felt a void. As I got older, my search changed from best friends to boyfriends, although the goal remained the same; I, like everyone else, needed a companion. My freshman year in college, I had lost my faith in girlfriends and had no time for boyfriends. I still needed that “someone” to depend on, so I got a dog. Owen served as a wonderful soul mate for that first year in college, but eventually I needed something more, someone I could share everything with.

I went on with my search until I was finally satisfied; I finally met my companion. In my situation, I found the one person who I felt happiest with: my ultimate goal. I can trust him, love him, hate him, completely open up to him and I know that he can do the same with me.

Humans are social by nature. Everyone has a desire to share their lives with someone or something else. I believe that our entire lives are a series of relationships in search of an ultimate companion. It could be a hobby, imaginary friend, boyfriend, true friend, family, pet, job, or girlfriend that makes us most happy, and it is most likely different for every person. However, it is not until this is found that one can truly start living.