Dallas - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

The earth is round. Two and two make four. These are beliefs; these are proven beliefs – facts. What, out of the infinite stream of facts and beliefs out there, makes me want to go out and do something? Nothing.

I work because I have to. I draw because someone told me I’m good at it. I write because someone said I don’t suck. I’ve tried chemistry and math, English and art. Not a single thing in serious life motivates me.

I believe in games. Sadly, they motivate me more than learning new animal species and rock formations ever will. I have little quirks, little tricks and beliefs that I follow while playing games. I arrange dice by color and number so they’ll roll better (don’t knock it – it works). I pretend I don’t see the bad guys so I don’t have to fight them (this doesn’t work, by the way). I learned my hand-eye coordination from Duck Hunt and I’m not afraid to admit it. I have the most fun when I’m playing games, and I have even more fun when playing with someone else.

I believe I am a lesbian magnet. You’re jealous, I know. I attract all kinds of other people too. Neat, huh? It’s called “being nonjudgmental”. Everyone deserves a chance to be a friend or foe. Don’t hate someone for their label, hate them for their content.

The great thing about following my beliefs is that I don’t have to live life with the uncertainty that most people have. I don’t have to wonder, ‘Where will I be in twenty years?’ ‘What will I do?’ ‘What will I regret?’ I already know my answers. I will be wherever I’m happiest; I will do what makes me happy; I will regret nothing. I know I may never have a great job or lots of money. And, unlike most, I don’t set myself up for disappointment anymore.

My dad told me, “People are stupid, ignorant and incompetent. If you believe this before meeting someone, and they turn out otherwise, you’ll be pleasantly surprised! If they turn out as you expected, you won’t be let down.”

This belief works; best of all, it keeps me happy. And, if you’re not happy…you’re doing something wrong.