Sarah - Norman, Oklahoma
Themes: Christianity

This I believe, that there is a greater good. It has been my belief for many years now that there is a God, and that without Him we as humans are nothing. I have many reasons for settling with this particular belief, some of which are logical, while some rely solely on faith. For, although I was raised in a Christian family, I had to take it upon myself to determine what it was that I really believed in and wanted to live my life after, rather than just mirroring my parents actions for the rest of my life.

My introduction to Christianity began in my early childhood, before I can even really remember. As I was born to two churchgoing parents, it was never really a question of whether I would grow up going to church and how I would be raised. Although I am grateful for that upbringing, once I started getting older and really thinking about what I was being taught, I pondered whether I really believed it in my heart or if I had just accepted it because I was so used to hearing it from my Sunday school teachers, and knew of nothing else. I then began doing reading and thinking on my own, to determine if this was really the faith and belief that I wanted to follow.

I then proceeded to study this religion of Christianity on my own, and to examine these beliefs that they follow to decide if I believed these claims as well. I came to the conclusion that yes, this is the path that I believe and want to follow, because it not only makes sense and feels right, but also because through my journey to find the right religion, I was able to form a relationship with God that helped me to see that this all really was true.

Through my examination of Christianity, I found what it was that I believe. I believe that this world is too beautiful and complex to be the result of mere chance. I believe that only a greater omniscient power could be responsible for the creation of billions of people, each one completely different, and each composed of the many minute and complex systems that make up our bodies. I believe that our minds are too vast and complex to simply have come about over time. And I believe that, although I cannot see God, it is by Him that I am able to see. By that I mean that through the teachings of the Bible and Christ, I am able to see how it is that I should live my life, as well as the true meaning of life, which is to serve and live for the God who created me.

Another reason that I have adapted this belief is because of a scenario that my highschool bible teacher proposed. He said that, if you are a Christian, and Christianity is true, than you do indeed go to heaven, and win everything. But if you are a Christian, and its false, then you go nowhere, and lose nothing. At the same time, if you are not a Christian, and its not true, you gain nothing, but if you are not a Christian and it is true, you lose everything. This theory showed me that there is nothing to lose by putting my faith in God, and since I do agree with His preaching’s and teachings, the only thing blocking me from Him would be myself. It was this moment that I decided that this is what I do believe. I believe in a loving God that created the world and everything in it, and a God that created man in His image. I believe in a God that teaches love and compassion, and who loved me so much that He would send His son to die for me. This I believe.