Ashley - 73072, Oklahoma

While pondering what to write about for this assignment I considered all the events leading up to my life as it is in the present. Currently I seem to have avoided several potential disasters, and amazingly have found a bit of inner peace. In the last two years I have experienced a move from my home with my family into the “real world.” I originally chose the wrong college, and had a difficult freshman year. I transferred schools and hoped for a fresh start with my education. Then I suffered the most traumatic blow in my life so far. I lost my grandmother, one of the most inspirational and loving figures in my life. It was more or less my first experience with “real” death. I decided to press on with school, not wanting to waste any time. My dreams of education were rattled, however, when I was placed on academic probation the semester after she died. My depression had caused a drop in my grades that I had never anticipated possible for myself. All of this was piled on top of the fact that many of my personal relationships were falling apart. My living situation was terrible, and while I had a job that paid well, but reeked emotional havoc. The culmination of these experiences challenged my faith, not only in God, but also in myself.

Over the course of the last year, I have managed to get my life back in order. Slowly but surely, I made progress in my grieving process, and tackled the situation with my grades head on. Many of my relationships are repaired and are now fully functional. I have discovered what I want to do with my life, and have gotten back on top of things. I am still going to graduate within the year I had anticipated and I am participating in activates I enjoy again. While it is not particularly original, I believe in myself. Knowing that I have the strength to overcome obstacles on my own is empowering. I still value very much the support I receive from my family, friends, and my faith. I also believe that I would have gotten nowhere without the help of my God, but He helps them who help themselves. To know that I am capable of great things is really something. Believing in myself will propel me to great success for the rest of my life.