Mallory - Spotsylvania, Virginia

For every skinned knee, every wrong thing said, every “I shouldn’t have done that,” there are lessons to follow. Whether it was a small mishap or a massive one, the result is always going to be the same: a lesson learned.

I believe in the need to make mistakes. I believe that mistakes shape a person for who they are and who they will be.

Making a mistake or making one hundred mistakes is better than being perfect. We as Americans strive to be perfect; we make one mistake and think there is no possible way to fix it, and we believe that everything is ruined. Perfection is boring; “Show me a person who has never made a mistake and I’ll show you somebody who had never achieved much,” as said by Joan Collins. Mistakes mold a person to be unique and knowledgeable in every aspect of their life.

The other day I went with my friend so that she had someone with her while she bought a pregnancy test. It was terrifying for her and me as well. She is sixteen and has her whole life in front of her, but one slip-up caused her to regret what she had done. Yes, it was not the smartest thing to do, but I told her she shouldn’t regret it, and that instead she should learn from this experience. This mistake made her realize how much she wanted to accomplish before having a child, and I realized how mature an error can make a person in a short period of time; Orlando A. Battista said that, “An error doesn’t become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.” She has learned from this mistake that she needs to watch what she is doing and to be careful, not just with this, but with everything in life.

Mistakes and learning hold hands as they saunter down the path of life. Every minute of the day people spend learning; most learning takes place after a mistake has been made. I believe that a person needs to make a mistake at least once a day to be a healthy person, this goes just like the saying, “An apple a day makes the doctor go away.” The problem is that sometimes people make the same mistake repeatedly, and that is not learning; Fiona Apple said, “I really don’t think anything I do is a mistake. It could be if I didn’t learn from it.”

I believe to make mistakes is to live